10.22.2009

Likeke Trail, enter from the parking lot of Ko'olau Golf Course

I had the opportunity to hike Likeke Trail recently with a group of friends. The leader of the hike is my cousin’s friend Debbie. She was kind enough to invite me to join her group. Debbie is also the same person who got me to go up Makiki Trail a while back. What I like about her “tour” is that she studies the importance of the area and its relevance to the Native Hawaiians ahead of time and tells us her stories as we hike. She also prefers light hikes and shady areas…right up my alley! I thoroughly enjoyed myself.












It was a moderate paced two hour hike (that includes time for breaks) and we were able to stop along the way to view the plants, trees, flowers, Kane'ohe Bay and the Ko'olau and even the Pali Road. What impressed me the most was walking on part of the Old Pali Road (I didn’t grow up in Hawaii and have only heard about it so it’s a big deal), walking through the jungle of hau trees, the beautiful views of the mountains and bay, stopping at the Hi'ilaniwai Falls and honoring the heiau of Chief Maunahuia that was surrounded by the largest mango trees that I have ever seen.































I enjoyed the kukui, awapuhi, yellow ginger plant that looks like a candle/beehive, African tulip, the cobblestones and the streams of water trickling down the paths.

Many parts of the hike seemed like we were walking through a jungle. The hau trees form jungle-like thickets and grow everywhere. I have been told that the wood was once used to make outriggers for canoes. The creeping thickets are also great for wind-breaks.













































About thirty minutes into the hike you can hear the sound of water. The sound gets louder and louder and you can see water trickling down the path. And pretty soon...it's the Hi'ilaniwai Falls, so soothing and wonderful. People go into the water to cleanse and heal themselves. It is supposed to be good for your soul, washing away all the bad things physically, mentally and spiritually. I must remember to wear my bathing suit next time. So awesome! Really the best.

























We ran into a Hawaiian tour guide who was kind enough to share some of his stories about the taro patches that once surrounded the waterfalls. He also spoke of the heiau and how babies were sacrificed at this heiau.

























Here are some of the other beautiful views.





















I’d like to go back soon so that I can familiarize myself with the trail so I will be able to take others on this beautiful hike. Mahalo Debbie.



Honolulu Festival

No comments: