11.13.2009

Harumi Kurihara Part 3 Carrot and Tuna Salad-Japanese Home Cooking


Everyone is into eating healthy these days...I am one of them. I have always enjoyed raw vegetables even as a child but carrots were not one of the veggies that I ate. I used to think Bugs Bunny made them look so tasty but it just wasn't my favorite. My husband loves raw carrots and now so do I. We are lucky that nowadays they sell those baby carrots-no peeling and no cutting.


The very first recipe that I made of Harumi's a few years ago was her Carrot and Tuna Salad. It is so easy to make and it is very delicious.

Ingredients: (for 4)

3 medium carrots, peeled
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1 TSP chopped garlic
1 TBSP sunflower or vegetable oil
3 ounces canned tuna, drained (good-quality tuna, such as imported Italian brands, recommended but I used regular ones on sale and it was quite good)

Dressing:
1 TBSP white wine vinegar
1 TBSP mustard (preferably French whole-grain mustard)
Salt and pepper to taste
Shoyu to taste (makes the salad Japanese!)

Slice carrots thinly lengthwise, then crosswise to form 2-inch long julienne cuts. Place them in medium-size, microwave-safe bowl and add onion, garlic and oil. Cover and microwave at 50% power for 1 1/2 minutes. (I don't think my microwave can nuke at 50% power so I just microwaved at regular power.) Once the carrots are lightly cooked, add the drained tuna and then dressing and mix well. (The can of tuna may be more than 3 ounces so I suggest that you use the whole can.)

Serve hot, at room temperature or cold. (I prefer it chilled.)

This salad is very refreshing and healthy. Please enjoy!

No comments: